This holiday for most people means spending time with family but for me family is the last thing I think about on Thanksgiving. Not that I don't love them because I do, but our lives are so far apart from each other. And the last time we spend a holiday together through all the fighting and smell of alcohol was because I made it all, decorated it all. There just came this point when I realized that my dysfunctional family didn't need me to bring them together so that they could fight they did it just fine w/o an official Holiday to celebrate it. Sure I long to have one of those families that just get it and truly care about each other but I don't. And as much as I have tried I can not change it. That is what God has given me, and on the other hand God has also given me people who truly care about me. Tears come to my eyes when I think about all the people that give to me and love me, although it will never replace the love I wish I felt from my family. It still gives me a hope to move forward.
So this Thanksgiving I'm going to step out of the pain I usually engulf myself in during the holidays and serve others. None of this is about me, but is about those who need greater than I. I am so grateful that God has put me on this planet to serve Him and by doing so I can share His love to the many hurting more than I could ever imagine, and the ones that experience such loneliness that they have a sharp pain inside of them. I just might be able to make them smile and feel the great love that the Savior has pressed upon me.
If you read this blog I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone this holiday season and give w/o even expecting anything back! And if you have to give so much that it actually hurts you to write that check or give that food. Do it because you know that is why God has put you here. Hug someone they need it just as much as you do!
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment